I don't care if it is pizza on the couch or an evening downtown - it will be special, it will be romantic, and you will NOT talk about your kids the whole time. Here are some ideas to get the words flowing:
- One of my fondest memories with you is . . .
- I've always appreciated your ability to . . .
- One of your characteristics that I cherish the most is . . .
- When I think of when we met, I always remember you wearing . . .
- What is your favorite time of year? Why?
- Who was your favorite teacher?
- Who was your biggest role model, besides your parents?
- What do you remember most about our honeymoon?
- If we were getting married today, how would the ceremony/reception be different?
- If you could have any job, what would it be?
- A project I would really like to do with you is . . .
- Five years from now my wish is that you and I . . .
- An ideal retirement situation for us would include . . .
- At some time in our life, I would like us to . . .
- I'd love to see you expand your talent in . . .
- I'd like for us to take a trip to . . .
- A hobby I'd like to share with you is . . .
Don't be afraid to be a nerd and whip out a piece of paper with these prompts. I've done it, and I promise it makes for a fun evening. The original awkward moment certainly beats staring at one other with nothing to say, or only the usual calendar of events to discuss. Bo-ring. One important note - keep the topics enjoyable. This is not the time to say, "One thing I'd like to change about you is . . ." or "It always makes me angry when you . . . " No, no, no. Bad date night material. Keep it fun! Try to learn something new about your spouse, and make plans for your future. Hold hands and sigh. Look at each other. Lovers in love, married and together - that is good stuff.
How do you make date night discourse sparkle? Share your conversations starters in the comments.
Works for Me Wednesday @ We Are THAT Family
*Most of these questions came from a marriage seminar we attended at church last weekend. It was our first, and it was great. More on that, later.
P.S. Local friends - something special for you!!
share this on »